Monday, January 13, 2014

Confidence

Part of our job as dog trainer is to give our dogs the confidence to make their own decisions...even if that involves making mistakes. If you continue to make things easier for your dog, they will never gain the confidence to make the correct decision for themselves when necessary.

There is a saying that goes “Confidence comes not from always being right, but from not fearing to be wrong.”

Step back and watch your dog work or have a knowledgeable friend watch you. If you train alone, videotape your session. Later, watch the video with the sound turned off. Watch your dog’s body language...how he moves, how he interacts with you, is he tense or loose, and does he respond quickly.

Watch your body language when your dog makes a mistake. Are you moving towards your dog or away from him? What is the expression on your face? Now watch your dog. How does your dog respond after a mistake? Does he shrink down or does he bring his head up, ready to try again?

If you see signs of tension, indecision or uncertainty, you need to stop training the exercise and work on the element of the exercise which is causing him stress...EVEN if your dog does the exercise correctly.

I had someone tell me the other day that they didn’t want their dog (who is training for obedience competition) to make any decisions for themselves. They wanted the dog to look to them, as the handler, for everything. They were surprised when I disagreed. Yes, I require attention in the ring and I expect my dog to listen to me, but I want them thinking for themselves too. I want them to solve problems and I want them to trust me to keep them safe. But, most of all, I want a happy, confident dog.

A mistake is not the end of the world. I can not micromanage my dog’s environment so he is never wrong, especially in the ring. Things are going to happen and the dog needs to be prepared to deal with the pressure. But, this doesn’t come naturally (or easily) for some dogs...my current competition dog is a prime example. So, one of the skills I had to need him was HOW to bounce back from an error. But, to do this, I had to first let him be wrong. He quickly learned that being wrong was simply a mistake and he would be given the opportunity to try again. He actually gets “higher” after a mistake, trying harder to get it correct. The confidence in his body posture is clear. His head is up, his tail is up and he’s focused on his job. Unfortunately, there are no “do overs” in the ring, but that is what is so fun about this sport. We work towards perfection, appreciating every step along the journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment